dilligaf

A rant about my favorite team in baseball the Cubs and an objective look into baseball in general.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Week 3 in MLB.

My impressions of the league three weeks in. Up till tonights game there were 32 home runs hit this Sunday. For the sake of argument, lets just pretend that there are no players on the juice. Where did all the power come from? Traditionally April is not a good month for the ball to be lively. Mr. Selig can you honestly look at us fans and state before god as your witness that the balls aren't doctored? As much as I think he is a goof, Hawk Harrelson made that statement 8 games into the season. I watched a little more closely and I actually agree with him. With the newer, video game generation of fans whose attention span can be measured in moments rather then hours, the power game grabs at people. I, growing up in the 70's learned to appreciate a pitchers duel, small ball and a well timed 4 bagger. Baseball had to bring back the fans after the work stoppage, by turning their heads while players shot up performance enhancing drugs and popping reds or blues. Well, the federales get involved in the steroid issue, yet baseball needs to keep the fan base they gained with science project years. Since you cannot juice anymore, whats the easiest way to keep up the offense? Tighten up the ball. Of course no one will admit to it, yet watch the next game a little more closely and tell me I'm seeing things as you see a hot shot back up the middle. You'll see....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home